Monday, August 15, 2005

Eater In The Rye

Well I got to tell you that the Indian cuisine is coming of age. I think that is an understatement I’d rather rephrase it as too evolutionary as the former makes it look revolutionary. Yesterday I’d been to a marriage reception of a distinct relative. They opted for a catering based food service instead of a buffet system. I don’t understand whether they had a fixed course dinner or I guess they planned for a 6 course dinner. They had Sweet Corn Soup, Gobi Manchurian and Cucumber Salad as starters. Then the second course consisted of Masala Dosa followed by Rotis with Vegetable Kurma and Paneer Butter Masala. The third course had sweets such as Badam Halwa, Jelaebis and Bhasundi. The fourth course had rice with Rasam and Curd. Lastly, they served desert - ice cream with Chocolate topping.

After the marathon dinner, I walked out to an opening nearby to catch some air and I was surprised to see that the place was a separate enclave where ppl were getting served with some chats. I was really perplexed and was left pondering about the Indian eating etiquette and cuisine.

I just wondered about an idea I read in a book. It said “If you want to sell something to your friend take him to an Italian restaurant and if you want to buy something take him to a Chinese restaurant”. The concept was that Italian food is expensive and Chinese food is cheap. But I can add something more to this quote. “If you want to overwhelm your friend take him to an Indian marriage”

No comments: