Monday, September 05, 2005

Of Net-iquette & Nomenclature

I don't have my net connection from the past 3 days, whilst I've been reading the book "The Odessey of the Gods". The book is pretty interesting with interpretations on the various Greek myths. The best part is where you get to read Greek names which i really seemed to like (and offcourse most of the techies seem to like & emulate) like oracle, posedion, polydeuces, heracles, athens, zeus, telechon etc (many more which i'm not able to reminisce right now).

Another book in which i really loved the names is "Lord of the Rings". The names range from hobbits, dwarfs, men, orcs, wizzards etc. I mostly liked the elvish names & the names of cities.

Well these names are good to sound but might not have any intrinsic meaning. But if it is the meaning that really strikes you, nothing beats understanding & interpreting the names of Indian gods. There is not a single name in the Indian mythology that does not have a meaning and there are even stories explaining the evolution of the names. Most of the gods also have a sahasranama (1000 names). So, I'm kind of planning to make this my new hobby...interpreting names.

No comments: