Thursday, September 22, 2005

The Barber Shop

Don’t expect me to write a review about the Arthur Ripley’s flick “The Barber Shop”, but rather this is about my stupendous experience at a saloon. Well, I’ve always spiked going to a barber shop.

Day before I’d been to the barber shop, and the barber happened to have just arrived at the shop. I guess I was a bit too early. Anyway, he asked me to take a seat. Then he started with his morning chores which turned out to be quite a ritual. He turned on the lights and dusted the chairs, then he lit some incense sticks & started moving all over the place to spread the fragrance across, then he opened his cupboards and spread the smoke all over the place, including his scissors and combs. Phew…quite a religious guy I thought. Then he took some flowers which he had got from his place & spread it across a god’s photo that he had in the shop. And then he got a lemon out of his pocket, took it outside his shop and crushed it. Then came the arthi to the shop and finally he entered the shop feeling elated. And yeah he then turned on the TV and I got my hair cut.

All I could think at this moment was the Karl Marx saying “Religion is the opium of the masses”. I think that it’s an absolute impeccable saying, for instance this barber was losing the whole essence of praying to god by making it a bare ritual which obviously he’d be carrying out everyday.

You can judge most things in life by looking at it in a dichotomy. You could look at things in a romantic way (extrinsic) or in a rational (intrinsic) way. A mix of the two could be the most ideal thing but most ppl have a dominant side which is called as the groovy dimension. The problem with the groovy dimension is that you tend to miss out the things below the dimension or the things that fall beyond the dimension. It's better not to have a groovy dimension, and take things the way they come.

No comments: